Joann’s Frequently Asked Questions:
I’ve compiled a list of questions that I am asked most often. If you have an inquiry for me that was not answered below, feel free to contact me
Q: How many books will there be in the BHV series?
- A: I do not have a set number of how many books it will take to Laney’s story. There will be at least seven, but possibly more. Once I’ve completed Laney’s
story I plan to write about and tell the stories of several of the other characters. A few of those include Julz, Brooke, and Hayden. I also plan to write Oliver’s version.
Q: Would you be interested in doing an interview, sending me some swag, and/or doing a giveaway?
- A: I would love to! Please email me and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Q: Can I get an ARC/review copy of one of your books?
- A: Feel free to contact me with your information, including the link to your review page, and I will gladly add you to my list of reviewers.
Q: Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?
- A: Write for yourself. Do not give up and do not worry about what others will think of your work or how you’ll share your finished project. Write for you
and write what you want to read. You’ll have plenty of time to worry about the how’s and the why’s once you’ve finished. Just know that you can do it and you will.
Q: Will you read my manuscript?
- A: Unfortunately, I cannot at this time.
Q: What were your influences/inspirations in writing your books?
- A: Not getting what I wanted was a huge factor in why I began writing. It seemed that most of the books that I was reading weren’t giving me what I wanted
or what I needed. I was often left wanting more or with the feeling that something was missing. So I wrote what I wanted to read.
Q: Which one of your BHV characters is your favorite?
- A: Oh, geez! That’s like asking me which of my kids is my favorite. I love so many things about so many of my characters there is just no way I could single
one of them out as a favorite.
Q. How much are you and your characters alike?
- A: I think there are aspects of me in most of my characters, but I don’t think any one of them is just like me. Although, Felix and I do share an unhealthy
obsession with candy, and Carter and I share very similar sense of humors.
Q: Why can’t I find your books in stores?
- A: It is rare to find independently published books in major book stores. They are however available online. Also, due to the cost of printing and
distribution my books are currently available from Lulu.com and from my personal website.
*BHV books 1
& 2 (Laney & Darkness) are available in paperback through Amazon and Barnes & Noble.
Q: Who creates your cover art?
- A: My husband creates the cover art for my books. :)
Q: What is your biggest challenge when writing?
- A: My biggest challenge is always finding enough time to write. Between schoolwork with my kids, dealing with pets, keeping my house in a livable state, and
life in general it can be a challenge to find time to get any writing done at times.
Q: What are some of your favorite books?
- A: See my Blog where I’ve compiled an ever-growing list of my favorites.
I get a lot of inquiries about self-publishing, I’ve included the most asked questions below:
Q: How did you self-publish?
- A: I did a lot of reading and research. These three books were most helpful to me:
Dan Poynter’s Self-Publishing Manual, Peter Bowerman’s The Well-Fed Self-Publisher, and The Complete Self-Publishing Guide.
All three of these books have a step-by-step guide that is a life saver for self-publishers. If you are planning on taking the self-publishing path, I highly recommend that
you pick up at least one of these books. If you have more questions about self-publishing, feel free to contact me and I will do my best to answer what I can.
Q: Did you attempt to market to traditional publishers?
- A: In the beginning, I was unsure what I would do and I was torn between self-publishing and traditional publishing. After tons of research, I chose to take
a chance and create my own publishing company (Brookehaven Publishing) and self-publish my titles.
Here’s one final question that always makes me laugh:
Q: Will you hire me?
- A: Are you willing to work for JujyFruits and free books? ;)